RE: Meals and Dietary Preferences & Requirements
From: Jasmine Gold (juturnaix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:28:04 -0600 (MDT)
My son is allergic to dairy and used to be allergic to wheat. Although I
am not yet living in cohousing, I have cooked meals for 50-100 people
before. Over the past few years, I have learned many different ways for
easily making a meal dairy or wheat free. Especially if eggs are okay. I
use soy milk, water, or juice as a substitution for milk depending on
the recipe. Dairy-free margarine for butter. Some chocolate chips are
dairy-free. There are many different flours that work well for various
things (such as barley flour instead of wheat in cookies, rice flour for
pancakes, almost any flour for flouring something). Corn-Quinoa pasta is
my favorite wheat-pasta substitute. I don't have time to think of or
list everything off the top of my head, but I don't think that making
simple subsitutions should be a big deal. My hopes is that once we
moving into cohousing, our cooking teams will work with the people with
allergies and dietary preferences so that a significant number of meals
will be available to those peole.

--Jasmine Gold, Sonoma County Cohousing, Cotati, California
where we just had the Planning Commission approve (with some changes)
everthing except one part of our commercial building. The one change to
be approved will be reviewed in two weeks. Then it's on to City Council!