Re: Meals and Dietary Preferences & Requirements
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:40:02 -0600 (MDT)
> It occurs to me that perhaps some more education is needed for your cooks.
> I, for one, didn't know that starch is a problem for diabetics.  I'm
> familiar with the cliche that sugar is a problem, and I know of sugar-free
> cakes, etc.  But the fact that sugar-free cakes are OK (for at least SOME
> diabetics) suggested to me that sugar in the more complex form of starch is
> OK.

The most recent research indicates that sugar is less of a problem than the
total amount of carbohydrates eaten in a day or at a particular meal. Since
the amount of sugar eaten is so much less than the amount of rice or
potatoes, sugar is less of a problem. White flour raises blood sugar more
than sugar; complex carbs only a bit less.

The problem is rice and beans and bread followed by oatmeal cookies. I got
this way on a macrobiotic diet. I love rice and beans.

Green vegetables are the best things everyone can eat. There is usually
salad, but salad-only meals get old, no matter how organic the lettuce is.

In terms of education, with all the other meal demands/requirements, we are
on the edge of melt-down. I hate to add another issue. That is why I wanted
to hear how other communities handle this.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org