RE: [C-L] Dietary Accomodations
From: Rowenahc (rowenahccs.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 05:29:01 -0600 (MDT)
Our meal sign up sheets have particular dietary requirements posted next to
each name so that the cook can easily determine what needs must be
accomodated, and we have a general agreement that identified needs will be
accomodated, if possible.  For instance, there are several people who cannot
eat dairy products, so if lasagna is on the menu and they sign up there will
also be a small dairy-free dish using soy products.  If the person who can't
eat peppers is coming, we serve the peppers on the side, etc. Most of the
time there is meat or fish for the main course and if there is a solid
selection of vegetables and salad, folks with diabetes can usually put
together a meal that is not too hyperglycemic.  We always have some kind of
vegetarian alternative.  Luckily, we do not have any vegans so the
vegetarian meals are relatively easy.  Some of the dairy-free or vegetarian
versions are a bit wierd but mostly they are pretty tasty.   Some cooks will
also make all vegetarian meals, but then you need something for the
diabetics!    There is also a children's alternative if the main dish is a
casserole or something less than toddler friendly - usually Annie's Mac &
Cheese - and PB&J is always available.  It sounds a lot worse than it
actually is for the cooks and those with dietary needs feel welcome.

We also encourage low fat cooking for everyone!  We try to support organic
and locally grown food and have some connections to CSAs in Massachusetts
and buy our coffee wholesale from Equal Exchange. However, organic food can
bust the budget in winter and there are no rules about using it!

For desserts - we tend to alternate among fruit 'n cookies and birthday
cakes and Trader Joe's evil pies!   However, we always have no-fat yoghurt
or sherbert as well as icecream to go on the cake, so that makes it healthy,
right?  :^)

Rowena
CambridgeCohousing