Re: idea-a keyword list for Archive Searches
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:42:01 -0600 (MDT)
> Since Fred brought up the subject of searches, I thought I'd mention this-
> a few weeks ago I was inspired by someone's post about the difficulty of
> finding stuff  in archives (I think it was about stoves) to start a list of
> keywords that I see in the (far too many) posts I have saved. I don't have the
> draft here, but my thought was to post it and see if we could come up with a
> way to have some such list accessible and updateable. Then maybe we could
> consider putting keywords in our subject lines?

I think this would be very helpful and have working on several subject lists
for one of my projects. I have lists of keywords that go into a search field
so people can search "Commonhouse" and get all the messages about kitchens,
dining rooms, guest rooms or just search Kitchen and get messages about
stoves, sinks, and dishwashers.

This is trickier than you might think since different programs search
differently. For example I had to stop using "_" between words and use ":"
because some but not all searches were treating the "-" as if it made one
word out of the two or three words.

But anyway, good idea. What I do is something like:

Commonhouse: Kitchen: Stoves
Commonhouse: Kitchen: Sinks
Commonhouse: Guestrooms: Charges, Fees
Commonhouse: Guestrooms: Scheduling
Legal Structures: Limited Liability Partnerships

Etc. I'm sure the librarians out there have even more ideas. Go for it.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org