cohousing for older people
From: C2pattee (C2patteeaol.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:30:02 -0600 (MDT)
Just a few comments on older people in cohousing, coming from a 59 year old
single woman who wants very much to live in multigenerational community.  I
have been a foster parent for 15 years (one teenage girl at a time in
longterm placement) but have no biological children of my own.  I've loved
growing up with fifteen nieces and nephews, and am ver y attached to the kids
living next door.  I want to live out my life with children around me.  I
freely admit that I want a connection with kids, but don't want
responsibility for them 24/7 (which is why I take only older foster kids).

However, my mother, who had four kids of her own and came from a family of
ten siblings, was delighted to move into a senior citizen's-only condo
complex after my father died and the house was too big for her alone.  In
many ways, that condo was like cohousing, because although she didn't know
anyone when she moved in, she quickly became part of a friendship network of
women (widows mostly) who hung out together and took care of each other.  She
liked  the rules that restricted grandkids in the pool to certain hours and
the age limits for residents.  After all, she'd already spent a lifetime
"sharing her wisdom", i.e. taking care of her kids and husband, and now she
was ready to take it easy.

Incidentally, I consider terms like 'elderly' or 'aged' to be simply
descriptive, not ageist or pejorative, but then I'm part of a loosly
organized social group calling itself 'Crones R Us".

Christine Pattee
Greater Hartford CT Cohousing
c2pattee [at] aol.com

In a message dated 7/10/01 1:01:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,