RE: cohousing for older people
From: Forbes Jan (jan.forbesdhhs.tas.gov.au)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:46:16 -0600 (MDT)
Thanks for this Christine.  I've printed it out for future reference.

Like you I prefer intergenerational communities where there are kids around.
It sounds like your mother had that where she lived, with the grandkids.

Terms like aged and elderly are only perjorative if we see them that way.
The more positive we feel about being older ourselves the less unpleasant
the connotations.  And the research shows that older people tend to be
happier and enjoy life more than when they were younger.  In a recent
population survey done here in Tasmania called the Healthy Communities
Survey retired people reported a higher quality of life and higher
satisfaction with life than younger people.

Have you seen the Gergens' Positive Aging web site?  It's a US site.
Inspiring stuff.

How many older people are there in your community?

Can you tell me more about Crones R Us?  How many from inside or outside
your cohousing group?

Jan