Re: Re: Meals and Dietary Preferences & Requirement
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:09:01 -0600 (MDT)
I just wanted to add my emphasis to your excellent suggestions:

> -Remember that even vegetarian/vegan/ wheat free/low carb/ etc.. generally
> prefer a balanced diet, which includes protein (A garden salad just doesn't
> cut it)

This has been an issue for us as well. Simply taking out the meat is not
okay.

> -Don't estimate quantities assuming that only the vegetarians will eat the
> vegy food- You will end up with cranky, hungry vegetarians.

Very true. Even though we have only a small percentage of true vegetarians,
we have a large percentage of people who eat far less meat than the general
population.

> Finally, if someone is on an extremely restrictive diet, or the consequences
> for unintentionally including a restricted food are too high,  it may work out
> best for them to bring their own food to the common house and join in that
> way.

We spoke about this at length in a session at the conference. Some more
suggestions that came out:

It's the eating together that's important. If you have somone whose diet is
too dificult to follow, make sure they feel included in the meals. Joani
said they have a space on their meal sign up forms for a place setting only,
for just that purpose. I think that's a great idea.

Another idea that never occurred to us which is ingenious- assume everyone
is signed up unless people mark themselves as not attending on the sign-up
sheet. Much better meal attendance, and you don't have to remember to sign
up. I can't tell you how many times I missed out when I would have attended,
just because I forgot to sign up. I'm going to make a proposal to try it
out.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing