Re: Commonhouse: Hanging Out
From: Ncaidin (Ncaidinaol.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:02:02 -0600 (MDT)
Hi Sharon,

At Eno Commons most uses appear to be scheduled by individuals on behalf of
groups. We have informally standardized on a freeware web calendar, password
protected, to schedule events and avoid conflicts.

I think the web calendar is very efficient, but I wonder if using less e-mail
and web technology would result in a greater level of community interaction.
I don't know but I do often wonder about this which is ironic because I am
one of the techies of the community and get [over?] excited about using the
web and e-mail for communications.

I have found that the most meaningful community interactions for me is when I
walk up and down the pedway until I bump into someone or a spontaneous
outdoor meal convenes. I think these interactions are more meaningful because
I am more actively seeking out the interactions.

From that perspective, I would love it if our CH became a place where people
hung out when they were in the mood to "commune with people".

Regards,
Neal Caidin
Eno Commons Cohousing, Durham, NC
http://www.employees.org/~enoweb
Do residents hang out in your commonhouse? Or are most uses scheduled by
individuals or teams?

Does walking through to pick up mail, sign up for meals, etc. produce
meaningful community interactions?

We have a tension between having sign-ups on our web site or on the bulletin
boards. The web is more available, on and off site, but others want to
"encourage" hanging out and serendipitous interactions in the commonhouse by
requiring bulletin board reading and sign-ups. Does this work?

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org