Re: Common House hanging out
From: MartyR707 (MartyR707aol.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:47:01 -0600 (MDT)
We don't have a lot of totally unmotivated h anging out - but we've found
that any number of pretty small things can make it happen.  Examples:

After long debate, we installed a bigish screen TV in the loungs - NO CABLE -
so it is only for watching movies.  So we have informal, spontaneous movie
nights if someone has a video to share.  We hope to expand this to yoga
videos, etc.

Hanging art in the CH.  After two years of almost no art on the walls, one
member said let's do it and many of us brought down candidates plus kids art.
 The instigator brought gin and tonics too!  It resulted in a pleasant
evening of folks drifting in and out to offer opinions, the kids deciding
where to hang their art, etc.  And now we have art on the walls!

In the winter building a fire will draw folks in.

Of course it gets used regularly for meetings - both us and outside groups-
meals, parties, committee projects and so on.

Summer means hanging outside, so there has been a "plaza task force" working
on ways to make our plaza more appealing for hanging out - new furniture,
umbrellas, maybe plant a tree, etc.

And I definitely think posting stuff in the CH helps with even the brief
casual encounters which is still lots more than just sitting home reading
email.
The laundry room also generates lots of activity.  And the kids love to play
in the kids room - altho we h ave a rule that an adult has to be in the CH
with them when they do.

Marty Roberts
Two Acre Wood, Sebastopol, CA