Meals sign-up
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:27:02 -0600 (MDT)
Judy Baxter wrote:

I can't see it ever being exact - most meals are somewhat flexible - it's the
'I bought enough organic corn for  xx people plus a few extras, now there are 6
more people wanting to come, ' situation that most of us cooks hate.

We solved the "I forgot to sign up--can I please add on now?  I won't eat dessert if you are short, I promise" syndrome we were trying to protect the cooks from at Doyle Street.  So here's the system we used.

You are " supposed to" sign up 48 hours before the upcoming common meal, but typically the cooks don't "close off" the signup until just before they go shopping. And when they do close off the meal, they can (and often do) note that they will be preparing food for 2, 3, 4 "extras" anyway. Then two, three or four people can sign up to eat until the last minute (though if it's really last minute they need to set a place for themselves.)

If there are zero extras, it means "don't ask" if you can add on. Occasionally people ask if they can add on anyway, the rule notwithstanding, but for the most part, I'd say.

Does anyone else--besides Berkeley Cohousing--use as the default, that you ARE eating the common meal, and you have to sign "out" instead of "up" if you don't want eat a particular common meal?)

Joani
Thinking again about having the Network publish a book on common meals--planning, structuring, what works and what doesn't, and recipes.