RE: Time limits for house construction
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:16:03 -0600 (MDT)
Sharingwood is I think the oldest of the lot development models of
cohousing. From our experience we have had several homes that were owners
built that took several years to complete. We still have some vacant lots as
well. I think you will have to market your lots with the clause that
construction has to be finished by x date, or else wait until all your ducks
are in order before beginning, assuming the development window is two years
to finish from start and not two years from now. In my state, the condo act
allows the developer to set penalties for development non-compliance, which
could be extended I suppose to finish date. If you are a condo you might
check your condo law (using your attorney). Building several custom homes on
a two year schedule all at once sounds like a fairly difficult task. Good
luck. You might have to get a spec home developer to buy some of the lots in
order to pull it off.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood