RE: community financing
From: Eileen McCourt (emccourtmindspring.com)
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:43:01 -0600 (MDT)
When I purchased my condominium, I was having difficulty pulling together
the down payment.  A friend of mine who wanted to help became an equity
partner with me.  He invested what amounted to 2.5% of the purchase cost.
This was not filed as a subordinate loan or second on my home.  The bank was
not involved.  It was a simple arrangement between friends.  We were not
partners in any way other than this business arrangement.  We had a one page
legal agreement drawn up by an attorney that was basically this:  He owned
2.5% of the property.  After 3 years, either person was entitled to retire
the investment, with an appraisal of the home at that time to determine the
value of the 2.5%.  If he needed the money sooner, and I was unable to pay
the full amount, I could pay back half of the investment up front, and we
would enter into good faith negotiations for repayment of the balance of the
value of his investment.

As it turned out, we were both ready to retire the investment after 3 years.
My home had increased significantly in value, and he made about 44% in his
original capital investment.  Of course I live in the Bay Area, and real
estate was going wild at that time, but I think similar arrangements can
work in cohousing.  I have suggested a plan in our community to either
develop a fund or have individuals enter into individual arrangements to
invest a small capital sum in another cohousing member's home in our
community, as an equity investor, with a 5 year term, expecting that
homebuyer will be able to refinance in 5 years to pay back the investment.
These would be "silent seconds" and the investor will not be on the title,
so it requires trust that this recipient will follow through, and the
ultimate willingness to lose that amount of capital, and/or accept a small
return.  The underlying assumption is that the home will increase in value
over 5 years, and that the homebuyer will continue to have earnings
increases to cover the cost of the refinanced mortgage or home equity loan
needed to pay off the investor at the 5 year term.

The Cohousing Conference session on Affordable Housing also had much
information on institutional resources for moderate and low income buyers,
as well as non-profit developers.  I suggest getting the tape of that
session from the conference.

--eileen

Eileen McCourt
Oak Creek Commons