membership process for long distance members
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepi.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 07:38:01 -0600 (MDT)
Hi couhousers
From: Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing, Minneapolis, MN

We are discussing potential modifications of our membership process for a
couple  from California who are moving here in the fall and have a purchase
agreement to buy a home, contingent on going through the process and being
approved as members.  (the home is a coop apartment, so approval is necessary
to buy in, unlike our townhomes, where approval is needed to join the Board of
the Master Association) (don't worry, we have a very complex structure you
don't need to understand).

I vaguely remember a discussion of such issues (membership process for people
living far away) but can't find it in the archives - I have searched for non
resident members, and long distance, in Peter Scott's archive, to no result.
Can anyone suggest search terms?

Or ideas?

Our process requires two months of being an active member of the community, and
seems very important to me - as it allows people to self-select themselves in
or out while working and playing with us, experiencing how we make decisions
and resolve conflicts, etc.  And now that we've been out of the development
phase for 2+ years (since we finished remodeling the community kitchen) the
work, decisions, conflicts, are less intense, less frequent.

Judy

A 2 room and a 3 room coop apt are for sale, a 3 BR townhous is
currently  rented, maybe for sale.
-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epi.umn.edu
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments       in the Mansion (a rehab Georgian building)
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
coops moved in 1993, townhomes in 1996