Re: membership process for long distance members
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:18:05 -0600 (MDT)
Your process for becoming a member is quite long-and unusual for built
communities, I think. I think it's more usual for groups that have yet to
move in.

Since we are a condo association, community members can sell to whomever
they please. This is less frightening than it sounds. I don't think it's
just luck that we've had good people come in from resales. Since we are
built, they can really get a feel for whether they want to live here in a
few meetings and meals. One of our greatest assets is a very active family
who moved here after one visit.

And a long process is no guarantee. More than one person in our community
was a member for months or years before move-in, and was miserable once
he/she lived here.

In my experience, the built community, even if not completed, is a real
enough experience that people will self select in a much shorter time than
two months.

Of course, your mileage may vary. There is no one-size-fits-all for
cohousing.
--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing