Re]_renting common house to outsiders
From: JoycePlath (JoycePlathaol.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:27:01 -0600 (MDT)
We made our common house a separate for profit partnership on a separate lot.
 Each homeowner buys a share and gets the tax benefits of owning a piece of
real-estate that depreciates each year and manages to not show a profit.
That said, we have aggressively renting out our common room with non
commercial kitchen for six years.  The kitchen is used as a prep area for
potluck or catered food brought in from outside. Two officials for our health
department live in Marsh Commons and have not questioned this practice.  Our
space is popular with groups like the Green Party, Earth First, local organic
community garden groups, small private school graduations. art exhibits, yoga
groups, local for profit and non profit groups that need meeting areas larger
that their office can accommodate, and parties of all types (usually with
celebrants that are friends of people here).
The issues that have come up are around keeping the place clean enough for
renters and avoiding rentals during our three evenings a week meal times.
Joyce Plath
Marsh Commons, Arcata, Ca.