Re: Energy Saving Insulation
From: Jasmine Gold (juturnaix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:48:01 -0600 (MDT)
I forwarded the information to our design committee and below is the
information I got from them:

> Icynene (TM) or polyicycene (generic) is good insulation material
> made from urethane plastic that uses carbon dioxide as the foaming
> agent rather than other more harmful ozone-depleting gases.  The
> material has no added formaldehyde and releases relatively small
> amounts of air-borne particulates with normal air movement through
> the wall.  The long-term insulation value is about R-3.5 per inch.
>
> In comparing the product to wet-blown cellulose, I have found most
> features to be equal, including the total installed cost,
> soundproofing, insulating value, resistance to mice and molds, etc.
> There are two reasons why cellulose was initially chosen over this
> product.  First, there are about twice as many installers of
> cellulose as there are of Icynene in our area so presumably
> competition and availability are improved.  Second, cellulose is
> made completely from plant material without any petrochemical
> products, thus supporting the natural decomposition of the building
> after its useful life and reducing the use of oil industry products.
>
> I suspect that cellulose is comparable in its hypoallergenicity
> (okay, I know thats not a word but it works), but I am very
> receptive to hearing anything more you know on the subject.  There
> is also an option for allowing this product as an alternate in the
> case that a cellulose installer cannot be contracted for a
> reasonable price at the time of construction.

--Jasmine Gold, Sonoma County Cohousing, Cotati, CA
where the City Council approved our tentative map last week, we are
gearing up to start construction drawings, and we will be having a few
openings as soon as some affordable housing issues get sorted out