Re: RE: [C-L]_Consensus vs. Executive meetings
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:04:01 -0600 (MDT)
In a message dated 8/20/01 10:13:32 PM, MarkBishop [at] austin.rr.com writes:

<< Do cohousing groups that elect board members find it important to elect

board members by consensus?  Is there a typical consensus based process

used? >>

We formed our board by gettng one member from each committee (6 committees)
and asking for either one or three at-large members.  Each committee chose
the way they wanted to and only one person volunteered for the at-large
position.  If more than one person on a committee wanted to be on the board,
they were to talk it out between them first, consensus-style, but I don't
know if that ever happened.  I was the only volunteer from our committee.

Having each committee represented helps a lot.  Committees get feedback from
the other committees and questions and issues from the board can get back to
any committee.   If the rep from a committee can't go to a meeting, they get
someone from their committee to go.

The board positions last 3 years.  However, in order to stagger them, the
first board members have 1, 2 or 3 years terms.  After the first term for
each position, it goes to 3 years.  That way, there are always experienced
people on the board.

Roger Berman
Pathways Cohousing
Northampton, MA