Cats. Wow!
From: Alicianat (Alicianataol.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:39:01 -0600 (MDT)
What a wonderful topic for debate!  I have just read the cat messages and I
am stunned to find this such a philosophically contentious and emotionally
harged issue. I can't help adding a piece for the sake of discussion.

In my work (animal assisted therapy) we presume every animal is a sentient,
conscious and heart centered being -- until they have been abused by humans.
The key in human - animal relations is cooperation and respect. Therefore, if
we humans communicate in a loving and honoring way - animals will respond
coperatively as partners in our endeavors. They are telepathic and read our
emotional natures as well as our thought processes. In my field of work
(specifically, equine facilitated mental health) we demonstrate this on a
regular basis.

In my personal experience,   this year I thought to ask my cat to please let
the bluebird familly in my eaves birds alone as they were welcome friends.
This year, the  bluebird family lived to mature their young and migrate for
the season.  Coincidence?

There is a lot more we have to learn about taking a leadership role in human
human and human animal relations without control, mastery and superiority. A
best seller, "Animals as Teachers and Healers" is a wonderful insight to
human animal relations. Another mind boggling insightful read is "the
Handbook on Equine Experiential Learning. . ." by Barbara Rector.

Lastly,  my cat is a lot smarter than I. I can't remember the last time he
cleaned my bathroom and I am always cleaning his.