Accessibility
From: Racheli&John (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 12:04:01 -0600 (MDT)
>From Racheli

I've been thinking about the point made by someone,
that it's illegal to dis-allow service dogs from common
guestrooms.

An important issue underlying such law is - that
saying that we must allow service dogs actually means
that we might make a space inaccessible to people
who are allergic to dogs.  Ie:  So far, issues of chemical
sensitivities are not common knowledge, and certainly
aren't being looked at as involving issues of *accessiblity*,
(unlike some other disabilities).

I suspect that incorporating accommodation for the chemically-
sensitive is going to be resisted mightily, because it could have
huge implications regarding how we build and maintain
spaces: Starting with banning toxic building materials, to banning
most furnishings; cleaning supplies; perfumes people wear, etc. ...

Just food for thought,
R.