Re: Email & introversion & Myers Briggs
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:01:01 -0600 (MDT)
>> without the added distractions of shoulder
>> shrugging, laughter, overbearing tone, screaming, tears, chest pounding,
> and
>> arms crossing.
>
> Those aren't distractions.  They're part of the message.

I understand that they are part of the message but I find that often they
are the parts that are denied. For example,

Response to person screaming in ones face: "You are bullying me."

Response: "What? All I said was I don't agree. What's wrong with you?"

How many times have we been in that situation? Or in filibustering. I find
the filibusters are quickly quieted on email. They become very ineffective.

At least with a written message you can go back and ask the responder (or
the sender) to reread and rephrase the message. That is the part we often
forget on email and _may_ do in a formal meeting/discussion. Or in a
discussion with an intimate. Otherwise it doesn't happen in face to face
either. Certainly not with people one does not know well.

> Well, this is a different topic.  Introverted isn't the same as shy.
> Introverted people are energetically drained by groups and crowds and
> recharge by being alone or with an intimate other.  We (I am one) go home
> from a party, for example, feeling tired.  We may act very sociable when
> with people, though.
>
> Extraverts, on the other hand, are energized by groups and crowds.  They
> thrive with lots of other people and don't really need much time alone.
>
> An extravert would love being in a large family with people around all the
> time.  An introvert would feel overwhelmed by it.  An introvert would love a
> small family with lots of private time.  An extravert would feel bored by
> that.

Nicely put.

My favorite example is the response to a wonderful party:

Extrovert: This is the most wonderful party I've ever attended. I wish it
would last forever!

Introvert: This is the most wonderful party I've ever attended. How soon can
I go home?

I live on the second floor and often go look out to watch what is going on
in the piazza or on the green or in the commonhouse and then go back  inside
perfectly happy to know that people are having fun (without my help).

Have any of your groups done Myers Briggs tests and discussions as a jumping
off point to understanding each other better?

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org