Re: RE: communication
From: Michael D (ohanamdearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:47:04 -0600 (MDT)
> the original statement,
> made by Albert Mehrabian, that "the EMOTIONAL content of any message is
93%
> nonverbal" has been inflated to cover all communication.

Thanks for this.  I've never actually read anything from the original work.
I've just taken what I've been taught as accurate.  I'll look into it.

Synchronistically, Dr. Phil McGraw just stated the 7% and 93% figures on
Oprah today.

However, even if the statistics are inaccurate, the principle is still true.
As I said, "I love you" can mean many different things, as can most words.

> As Mehrabian himself explained, if I ask you to go to my office and get me
> the staple-puller that's in the rear left-hand side of the upper drawer,
> ZERO percent of the content would be nonberbal--there's no emotion in that
> message, and golly gee how could you begin to express it in gesture, vocal
> tone and facial expression?

Guess I disagree with him.  Using one set of verbal and non-verbal factors,
he could be telling me that I'm stupid for not already knowing where to find
it.  Using another, he could be begging me.  Using another he could be
demanding.  Using another he could be angry at me.  Using another he could
be giving me a gift.  Etc., etc.

Namaste,
Michael

---