Re: Re: Revisiting consensus decisions
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:29:01 -0600 (MDT)
Let's see... back to the manual to look up revisiting decisions. Just as I
thought, we don't have a policy written down. But I do remember revisiting a
lot of decisions before move-in, and I'm pretty sure we had a rule then that
was much more strict that what I have seen here. I think there had to be a
2/3rds majority to revisit a decision. Our group took 5 long years to move
in, and they had to be a bit draconian with new members.

After move-in, decisions were far less difficult, after a time, because we
realized that almost anything we decided could be un-decided later if we
didn't like it. So we often have re-visiting any particular decision
actually built-in to the decision in the first place. Usually, we'll say
something like, "we agree to buy boffo laundry detergent for a period of six
months and will reassess our decision at that time". This doesn't actually
lead to very much decision changing. Most often, we end up liking what we
did, or at least not-hating what we did, enough to let things continue on as
they are.

I think the most critical time to not revisit issues is when you are adding
members. Things can really fall apart if new members don't buy in to the
decisions already made. It can be very helpful to have "buddies" who bring
new members up to speed so every decision doesn't have to be justified to
them. And a book with all the decisions in it that they can read before
deciding to become members.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing