Maintaining Momentum
From: Stephanie (stephsignificant.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:56:02 -0600 (MDT)
Hello there,

I'm a member of Mosaic Commons in Massachusetts. You've heard from a few of our members, but you may be most familiar with Catya.

As a not-yet-built cohousing community (we're currently searching for land), we sometimes find that when we're in between "big events" our momentum seems to wane. Big events such as a meeting with our consultant, looking at potential sites, welcoming new equity members, etc. seem to bring new life to our work, gets us all excited, and we tend to work harder toward our goal. But it's those "in between" times that we struggle with sometimes.

In fact, I must fess up that I'm the one writing this email because a few months ago I admitted to the group that I was having moments of doubt about whether I could keep doing this for 2 or more years until we move in. So I got the assignment to ask you guys - How do you maintain momentum when it seems like your goal is *so* far away? :)

It's ironic that I'm writing this now, because we seem to be chugging right along pretty well at the moment. I know, however, that there will be times in the future that drag out and some of us will end up frustrated again that the process is moving too slow.

Being on this list and reading your fabulous ideas, dilemmas, solutions, and heartwarming stories about living in a cohousing community has helped me to perk up and keep going to our bi-monthly meetings and contributing towards our goal. Seeing more members join - people that I am excited about living in community with - also helps me to keep going.

Surely I'm not the only one - we're not the only *group* - that has struggled with this? Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Stephanie Doss
Mosaic Commons Cohousing
www.mosaiccommons.org