Re: Tolerance is not the same as politically correct
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:36:01 -0700 (MST)
> In my experience, people can be politically correct without feeling true
> tolerance, and people can be truly tolerant without being politically
> correct. I really enjoy diversity, including differences in expression.

We had some difficulty with our first "Christmas", etc. but mostly because
it was our first use of the commonhouse. No one wanted a brand on it. We
discussed Solstice, Channaka, Christmas, Quanza, and Epiphany. We also
discussed creating a "new" holiday which would be a festival of lights.

It turned out to be "those who deal the cards, call the game." We all came
out of it alive and everyone got what they wanted -- or wanted enough to
plan and prepare it. We had a lovely Solstice, a real Christmas, a noisy New
Years, and huge Seder. We also had Easter Eggs.

I'm not sure what will happen this year but the general sense was that it is
better to have real holidays than sanitized ones that end up satisfying no
one.

This winter we may do an umbrella festival of lights which will start with a
Solstice; go through Channuka, Christmas, and Quanza;  and end with
Epiphany.

Christmas is a fact. Pretending it doesn't exist makes no one happy. I was
very glad that so many of my Jewish neighbors came out to sing carols --
even if they didn't know the songs. Then over hot chocolate, we had a
wonderful discussion about religious differences between Catholics and
Protestants that the Jews had no idea existed. Christian is Christian,
right?

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org