Re: Kitchen equipment: quantities and kinds?
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:30:02 -0700 (MST)
Absolutely get commercial grade stuff. You will be burning everything if you
have pots with thin bottoms, because of the sheer size of the containers.

We have about 4 or 5 big pots of various sizes and at least 4 large wok-type
frying pans. You'll need these for stir-frying and sautéing. You want at
least one very large pot for making pasta. Buy a commercial grade rice
cooker, the largest available. Take my word for this, the smaller ones will
just not last.

You can get by with donated baking sheets, platters and cupcake tins-they
won't get used as much. You'll also need several baking dishes of various
sizes, but at least 6 13-inch ones for lasagne and such.

Covered plates of some sort for late plates-people won't always get to the
meal and will want to take stuff home. We have separate dishes for this so
we don't deplete the china.

There are tons more things to buy, too numerous to mention.

We started out with donated stuff and added to it at first. As things wore
out, we replaced with commercial stuff. But don't even bother with donated
pots and pans. Get the good stuff right away, and avoid the headaches of
ruined food and frustrated cooks.

Teflon off-gases toxic chemicals. Get the better quality non-stick surface.

I will see if there is a list in Word format that I can send you. I'm sure
there is.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing