Re: Kitchen equipment
From: Howard Landman (howardpolyamory.org)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:58:05 -0700 (MST)
> Do other communities find that commercial-size pots and pans work on
> regular-size stoves? Here at the Village Cohousing (17 households, usually
> 30 people for dinner), we have two stoves that are designed for home use,
> and we have found that huge pots of water take way too long to come to a
> boil. Is there some way to help with this, barring getting a commercial
> stove? Right now we have discovered that the best setup is just to make
> three or four largish pots of soups, stews etc. instead of one huge one,
> but it would be nice to consolodate.

That's my solution too - divide it into two or more smaller batches.  This
has a more-than-linear speedup effect because you not only get twice as
much heat applied, you also get better heat transfer into each batch.  I'd
guesstimate that dividing a batch in two makes it 3 to 4 times faster.
This is true no matter what kind of pots or stove you have.

        Howard A. Landman
        River Rock Commons
        Fort Collins, CO