Re: Kitchen equipment-oven and stove
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:32:00 -0700 (MST)
We started out with two residential stoves, not because we preferred it, but
because our budget was so very tight. We waited for one to break, and
replaced it with a residential/commercial hybrid with much higher BTUs. It
has made a tremendous difference in the time it takes to prepare a meal, and
has been well worth whatever it cost.

The stove has the high BTUs of a commercial stove, but with the safety
features of a residential stove. That is, it isn't hot to the touch on the
outside of the oven, so it's safer for the kids. Children aren't allowed in
the kitchen during cooking, but that doesn't mean they won't go in there. I
strongly suggest that a commercial oven is far too dangerous for a
commonhouse, especially when you can get the same result from a stove
designed for residential use.

The oven also has a convection heating feature that has made cooking in the
oven faster and with more even results. I highly recommend it.

It's so much more fun to cook when you don't have to come to the CH an hour
earlier to start the oven and boil the water!!!!!

And yes, it's better to use smaller pots until you can afford a better
stove.
--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing