Re: Kitchen equipment: quantities and kinds?
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:20:01 -0700 (MST)
Definitely consider Corelle dishes.  Look for a Corning-Revere store at a
factory outlet mall, and ask about upcoming sales and volume discounts.  We
got 40% off the factory store price on ten boxes, all the same pattern, of
four place settings plus serving bowl -- $160 + tax for 170 dishes, and they
threw in several free pyrex pie plates.

In comparison, the local thrift stores sell used plates for $1 each.
Generally each one has only one or two Corelle plates, and I almost never
see used Corelle bowls.

People seem to prefer glasses to the mugs that came with the sets, but that
might be different in a community that drank more coffee at meals.

Inevitably some dishes get carried off home.  Our dining committee
periodically announces an amnesty on their return.  You might take a poll of
what Corelle patterns households own, then pick a pattern that nobody has,
so common house dishes will be instantly recognizable.

Kay Argyle
Wasatch Commons
Salt Lake City, Utah
argyle [at] mines.utah.edu