Re: Takoma Village Has a Clean Commonhouse!
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 20:55:01 -0700 (MST)
>> I'm guessing that this decision wasn't
>> made by concensus.  Am I right?  (That's another of my values - that all
>> decisions would be made by concensus unless there's some legal urgency to
>> make the decision.)

I missed this part of the message. If we applied consensus to every decision
that needed to be made we would never be  moved in.

Some decisions are not worth the time or the effort. You make a decision and
if it works it works, if it doesn't, you try something else. We have to make
a lot of decisions every week. If they all had to go through consensus, all
we would get done is being in meetings making decisions.

We decide that the commonhouse will be cleaned by us and not a cleaning
company -- then the facilities people figure out how to get that done.

We decide that we will use environmentally friendly cleaning materials where
ever possible, then facilities makes the decision about which ones seem
best.

The group sets the values, the teams decide the details.

We can always review a decision but in fact what works (makes everyone
happy) is a much better judge of whether a decision was properly made.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org