Re: common house cleaning
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:07:01 -0700 (MST)
At RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend, we've been using our CH for about
9 months, so haven't gotten into major deep cleaning needs. For routine
cleaning, this is our system.

Events and meals: clean up by participants.

Three-month rotations of cleaning responsibilities in defined areas
(number on team)
porches and around the edges of the building (1-2)
entry and halls (2)
rec room (1) youth room (1) compost (1) trash and recycling (1)
minor repairs (1)
great room (dining/lounge) (2)
kitchen, beyond post-meal clean-up (3-4)
bathrooms (2)
available to substitute (several)

In addition, various people have self appointed to keep up with donated
magazines, making flower arrangements, and other small tasks.

So far, this system has worked ok. It's what you might call facilitated
volunteerism. "We're updating the cleaning teams. Would you be available
to work with Joe on the halls?"

I expect we'll have a cleaning party sometime before winter sets in, to
wash windows, clean kitchen drains etc. There is also work to do like
installing hooks to hang mops and brooms, and such, that could maybe be
done as part of such a work party.

Cleaning is also facilitated by low-maintenance choices we made in
construction, like Marmoleum flooring in kitchen and kid room, tile in
entry halls, and a central vacuum system which is a really good
investment of a thousand bucks or so, if you are still designing a CH.

PS We had a really easy Thanksgiving dinner - coordinated potluck- for 22
who weren't dining elsewhere. Such a delightful feast, with enough food
that we tucked it in the fridge and came back Friday night for a
continuation of the feast. Monday night it will be turkey soup. Saturday
night was a member's private party, and they got to use the
tablecloths/candles/decor from our dinner too. They had a small brunch
clean-up party this morning - another idea for post-event clean-up.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com