Shared values cohousing
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:36:03 -0700 (MST)
This message was prompted by a request to post a message about a
proposal / query of interest in a specific type of what I'll call
"shared values cohousing".  See next message - it is more of an
announcement so replies about the general topic should be made to this
message (replies of interest in the proposal should go to the author of
that message).

Most of us know ( including the author of the message ) that usually
cohousing communities are NOT limited to people who share one particular
belief system (tho others have argued with some merit that people
interested in cohousing tend to share some less particular beliefs).
Also that McCamant and Durret wrote in thier book something that some have
taken to suggest cohousing should not be organized along ideological
lines.  Indeed I think shared values cohousing is likely to be even more
difficult to organize than more 'regular' cohousing because of the
increased difficulty of finding enough people who can agree on one site /
location.

But that does not mean it should not be attempted.  I say go for it; but
with your eyes open.  A more fundamental characteristic of cohousing is
that the residents decide how their community is organized, designed and
operated.  I see no threat from 'shared values cohousing" just as I see
other forms of intentional community as desireable alternative that
appeal to some people.  Indeed I think we call all learn something from
each other and therefore should keep lines of communications open.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson  Minneapolis,MN 55411 fholson [at] cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm Central time) Amateur radio:WB0YQM