Re: Levels of membership
From: George and Rosannah Stone (gnrstoneeasystreet.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:06:01 -0700 (MST)
During its development phase, Cascadia Commons had only two levels of
"membership."  Members were those who had responded to all capital calls,
which ramped up to $15,000, and then required signing a "risk sharing
agreement" that committed them to equal shares of any additional
obligations of our Limited Liability Corporation.  The other level was
"Associate" , which entitled people to come to meetings, take part in
discussions, and to  indicate their views in straw polls and decisions in
our consensus process.  They could not , however, "block" consensus.  The
costs of attaining this level were nominal -- something like $25 for 6
months.

Now that construction is complete and control is being turned over to the
Home Owners Association,  the picture is more complicated.  Owners of a home
have full rights to participate in all consensus decisions; renters can be
designated by owners of their home as having full participation in  all
decisions except those that have significant financial implications for the
HOA;  renters of homes  who have not been so designated  have  rights
similar to those of  Associates in the development phase.

We have found this system  to be viewed as fair and workable by persons at
all levels.