common house works!
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:57:02 -0700 (MST)
Tonighy, an hour after dinner in the RoseWind common house, several of us
looked around, grinned at each other, and pronounced, "It works!" We all
were noticing that our long-held dreams were coming true. Years of
planning and re-planning, designing and budgeting by committee, so many
choices, so many reports, so many compromises, work parties, trial
systems.

We'd been warned that building it late in the process, as we had to do,
ran a grave risk of it not getting used. And here we were, 7 months into
finally having a common house (in the 13th year since our first land
purchase). And the place was hopping tonight. It felt like nobody wanted
to leave and go home.

Like most Mondays, we had a team-cooked meal (Thursdays are potluck, and
Fridays are snacks and beer/juice). $4 got us abundant yummy chili,
organic salad and cornbread, luxury brownies, wine, juice, and coffee.
Kids eat free. We had 33 adults and 6 kids. After dinner, clean up went
on smoothly while people kept on talking, music was playing on the
stereo, 3- year-olds built a pirate fort out of sofa cushions, running
back and forth to the play room for dress-ups. A couple of teenagers
played guitar in the rec room. Some adults sat on the sofa in the kid
room for a one-on-one conversation. Guests blended in. Holiday
decorations are being gathered in the front hall to put up after the
Saturday meeting. There were kids aged 1-3-9-17. Adults from 21 to 70s.
And just everywhere after the meal the conversations kept on.

Like we had always imagined they would.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com