Re: Re: Washer/Dryer in Common House/Units
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:38:01 -0700 (MST)
>> I'm kind of surprised that you have a choice about whether to have hook-ups.
>> THe morgtage companies we got our first mortgages from required them. Have
>> you guys found out about that?
>
> We're working with Chuck, Katie, and Jim Leach. They didn't have a
> problem in Pleasant Hill so I don't think we'll have a problem.

Hook-up expectations are different in different parts of the country and for
different age groups. I would talk to a Real Estate agent before you make
this decision. If you wanted to sell your unit to someone with a baby, for
example, they would probably want the hookups. But things like this often
don't affect price, only the speed at which you can sell your apartment.

I was amazed in Florida that hookups were  planned for outside the
apartments, off the decks. Makes sense when you think about needing to keep
the heat outside the house.

After years of living in New York City were the machines were routinely in
the basement of the apartment buildings or down the street, I was determined
to have my own washer and dryer. I would make the decision again for
convenience and quality control, but it has not helped with laundry
procrastination. For the first year I did laundry every day just for the joy
of being able to have fresh hot clean clothes all the time.

But after a year, I stretch it out until there is absolutely not another
thing to wear in my closet. I hate shopping too so that isn't a solution.

I doubt if having the washer and dryer close by will make you want to do the
laundry anymore. And the commonhouse is at least social. I think the most
loads of wash get done on the day of our membership meetings. Fortunately we
have a door on the laundry room or it would be hard to hear.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org