Re: Washer/Dryer in Common House/Units
From: pattymara (pattymarajuno.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:25:02 -0700 (MST)
At Tierra Nueva, central CA coast, we have handmedown washers (2) and
dryer (1) in the common house and 5 community clotheslines, spread all
over the site.  So many people use them that early on we had to have a
"Laundry Summit" to hammer out a schedule.   Since then, I know that on
Monday mornings, from 8 to noon those machines are mine.   We have a
separate schedule for the clotheslines.  Only two were installed at
movein and since the energy "crisis" we have installed 3 more, and
counting, to accommodate others who saw their utility bills skyrocketing.

I used to be a procrastinator.  Now, I do 4 loads every monday morning,
hang them on the line and ride off on my bicycle for the day while they
dry in the sun.  I love doing laundry in the common house.  Since only
one of us at a time uses the machines, for the most part, it isn't a
social hub like the myth leads us to believe...but it keeps the common
house alive, as does the copy machine in the office.    On rainy days
when i have to use the dryer, I often take the basket of just dried and
fold them in the dining room while the cook team preps dinner.

We were all required by our construction lender to have hookups in each
home.  Most of the families with babies use theirs.   Our common house
laundry room is small, but lots of light, very colorful magenta and
turquoise countertops and cabinets, with a big deep laundry sink.  Love
the sink.
A window by the path to the mailboxes is right by the washer loading
area.  Last time I did my laundry, my favorite neighbor/mentor/"other
mother" passed by on the path, caught my eye through the window and blew
me a kiss.

It filled me with joy all day long.  Still does.

coheartedly,
Patty Mara
Tierra Nueva
Where FOUR households are moving into other houses here.  One single
leaving, one family moving next door,buying her unit; one newlywed and
his wife returning to buy that family's house, and two families swapping
houses.  Yikes.    And one set of renters leaving...opening up a possible
rental or sale here.  (3 bedrooms, two baths, duneview, right by the
mailboxes and common house)