Power struggles vs. other types of conflict resolution
From: Racheli&John (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:44:05 -0700 (MST)
** Reply to note from Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com> Sun, 16
Dec 2001 09:21:23 -0500
>From Racheli

For me, a power struggle is when people who have
a conflict insist on having their own way, and seeing
the resolution as a win/lose situation - in which they want to
win!  In such cases, people tend to see moving towards
common ground as "giving in".  The emotional climate
is usually tainted with assigning bad motives to one's
adversaries; seeing them as being "unreasonable", etc.

What I think of as an appropriate way of resolving
conflict is by looking at the (possibly conflicting) needs
of the various stakeholders, and by working together to
achieve an outcome which doesn't make anyone into a loser.

R.