RE: Power struggles vs. other types of conflict resolution
From: Alison Truesdale (alisonttwo-echo.org)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:18:01 -0700 (MST)
-----Original Message-----
From: Racheli&John
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 2:39 PM
To: cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org
Subject: [C-L]_Power struggles vs. other types of conflict resolution

For me, a power struggle is when people who have
a conflict insist on having their own way, and seeing
the resolution as a win/lose situation - in which they want to
win!  In such cases, people tend to see moving towards
common ground as "giving in".  The emotional climate
is usually tainted with assigning bad motives to one's
adversaries; seeing them as being "unreasonable", etc.
BINGO!!  Add to this the idea that this is the way things are supposed to work,
therefore it's
okay to 1) use the consensus process to block a decision in order to get one's
way, regardless
of the amount of support for another view and regardless of how much one is
heard; or 2) ignore
someone's objections to a proposal and try to marginalize them in the group in
order to get
your way.  Now you have the picture of where we're at here at Two Echo