Re: Car Ownership in Cohousing over Time
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:08:01 -0700 (MST)
> I would also be careful to distinguish between car *ownership* and car *use*.
> Sharing may reduce ownership but does not reduce use.  Carpooling may
> reduce both.  Telecommuting once a week reduces use but not ownership.
> If your main concern is, say, reducing greenhouse gases, then you want to
> reduce use.

This is a very good distinction to make and probably a more useful one than
ownership. In DC we have a very active bicycle culture and bike trails so
people do bike to work -- even over long distances -- but they still own
cars that are parked most of the time.

Car ownership is a land use issue -- they take room. They require security
-- and security gates. Headaches all.

Car dependence differs so widely in various parts of the country that any
generalizations or expectations would best be tailored to types of settings
-- urban, small town, rural. It's hard to be rural and not have a car
available for use. Those who work late into the night or go out at odd times
(doctors, midwives, police officers) and people with small children
(particularly with asthmatic conditions) need cars more than others.

A survey would need to be conducted over a period of years to be accurate
(memories fade) and would have to be based on specific questions
(measurements).

In Washington DC where all roads lead to Casablanca