Re: Re: FW: Do you have TV in the common house?
From: Catherine Harper (tylikeskimo.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:59:01 -0700 (MST)
Just a note from left field...

As a generally pretty anti-TV person, after reading a few posts here I was
surprised to realize that I am tending towards being in favor of
televisions in the common house.  (Though on if they are at least somewhat
sequestered from the dining area, and I still would prefer them not to be
on during meals.)

We don't have a television in our house (though we have a variety of
DVD/VHS monitors and a really rockin' network based distributed music and
video system, so what I mean here is that the television signals are not
displayed...)  I shudder to think of having one.

But every once in a while there's something I want to see.  And watching
television, though a piss poor solitary occupation (in my opinion), can be
a reasonably decent social activity if not over-indulged.  Having a
television in the common house sounds like a step away from mindless
constant television watching because it is in the public space.  And of
course it would be a convenience to someone like me who doesn't want the
box at home.

(Part of my feelings on the subject stem from the fact that my husband is
from a family of television abusers, and will occaisionally relapse if the
opportunity presents itself.  This annoys the heck out of me, and annoys
him even worse when he realizes how much time he's wasted.)

I would like to hear more about the specifics of how groups with
televisions practically regulate children's television viewing, especially
in the case where different families have different television rules.
Practically, are things like afterschool cartoons even watched in the
common house?

                                Catherine