Re: Do you have TV in the common house?
From: Bob Morrison (bomorriscisco.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:37:01 -0700 (MST)
  On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:34:49, Lon Goldstein <zebulon303 [at] mac.com>
wrote:

Proposed Wild Sage Cohousing Common House TV Policy:

Note: TV viewing is defined as anything appearing on a TV screen,
such as TV programs, movies, or sporting events, regardless of their
source.  <end quote>

  I interpret this to mean home videos (recorded on a camcorder, not off
a TV) are included in this policy. True?

> 5. TV viewing in the common house is intended to be an occasional
> event. Three events per week is envisaged as a guideline. An event
> is defined as the length of a movie, program or sports event.

  This seems awfully restrictive to me. What I think is going to happen
is that if a few people from several households want to watch a TV
program or video together, they will usually go to someone's home to do
it because it will be too much trouble to book a slot at the common
house with the TV committee.
  Here is a scenario that might apply to me if I lived in cohousing,
which I don't: I make, and edit down to 1 hour, a video of a trip which
I think a lot of people in the cohousing community will be interested in
seeing. The number of people I think will be interested is more than I
can comfortably fit into my living room, so I would like to show it at
the common house. If the above policy were in effect, I expect I would
be in fierce competition with other users for one of the three slots per
week, and might have to book a slot weeks in advance. If so, I would
probably choose to show the video in my unit, even though I would much
prefer to show it in the common house.

Bob Morrison
Salem, NH