Re: Suddenly Everyone Will Be Ever-So-Social...NOT!
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:11:02 -0700 (MST)
> I like Peggy's comment that individuals do have to actually initiate
> activities.  They don't spontaneously occur, just because the
> architecture supports it.

The architecture can only make it easier. The architecture doesn't initiate.
All the ways in which our architecture was supposed to "require" certain
activities have been circumvented where they are inconvenient.

Rules also do not work. You can't require, for example, all walkers to go
out the front where they will see and be seen, if cars can go out the back
gate and the back gate is closer to everything one would walk to. Walkers
will use the back gate too, even if it is designed for cars.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org