RE: FW: Do you have TV in the common house?
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:59:01 -0700 (MST)
At Sharingwood we had a TV in the commonhouse for about a year. It died of
neglect, nobody ever watched it. It was displaced by Movie night at one of
the members homes. In general we are a TV light community, with only a
couple of people having serious TV addictions, which they feed in their
homes. TV is not usually even a topic of dinner conversation, since their
are so few watchers.

I'd like to echo what Patty said, parents with no community experience often
fear illicit TV guzzling by kids. Especially parents who disapprove of TV.
This is pretty much always a non-reality. There are too many eyes to get
away with much, especially if the values are clearly communicated by the
parents.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood, where several kids recently created an alternate universe with
stuffed animals, inspired by Tolkien and when another kid came over with a
new video to watch, the kid with the video ended up playing in the active
fantasy instead of watching the passive video one.