Re: play area surface
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:25:01 -0700 (MST)

> Does anyone know about the recycled rubber surfaces that are starting to
> appear?  I've seen ones that looked and felt great, with no apparent
> drawbacks.  My guess is that they're terribly expensive.  I would also
> guess, however, that they don't need to be replaced as often as say, sand
> or wood chips.  On the other hand, I saw one a while ago that was coming
> up in big, ugly chunks.  Does anyone know about these?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert Arjet

We looked into all the options at least a couple of times, since the tiny
wood chips are a pain, but safe for the kids. The rubber surfaces are
outrageously expensive. As I recall, it would have cost something like
$5,000 to cover our small play area.

But don't be fooled; ALL surfaces that cats can dig in will get pooped in.
Even gravel. Someone will need to clean it out regularly.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing