Re: Coho common houses built to public-building standards
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:54:01 -0700 (MST)
At RoseWind, in Washington State.  In this state, anyway, the
construction is classified as a certain type of building, among the
possibilities for non-residences. These have different code requirements.
Thus, a school or a movie theater has different requirements from a
church parish hall. We were classified like the latter, an A-5, being the
most general class of "assembly" place.

Within that designation, we still had to negotiate with the building
department about two issues. First, they started out telling us that our
2800 sq ft building would require FOUR bathrooms, clearly more than
common sense dictated, and an unnecessary use of space and money. We
argued them back to two. The variable was what the various spaces in the
common house were called. For some reason, having our Exercise Room
become a Recreation Room made a difference. I forget what else, but
probably the classification of our entry hall and pantry space was also
debatable.

We also were being asked to provide floors that supported a large amount
of weight per square foot, with a lot higher cost. Since we were not
planning on training elephants, we talked them down to a compromise.

Lesson: if confronted with requirements that seem unreasonable, it may
pay to persist in uncovering if there are ways to classify things which
are still true, but don't kick in the same requirements.

Truth is another factor. I saw CH building plans for another community
which clearly involved subterfuge. In the interests of not being called a
public building, they had labelled their kitchen a "warming kitchen for
potlucks" and their kid play room a "meditation room", for example. In
our community, ethics aside, we are so much in the public eye that we
could never get away with less than frank descriptions of proposed uses.

Summary of what was different from residential code:
Some of this was explained to us by building dept some by fire dept.
ADA building entrances, internal doorways  and bathrooms. Designated
parking space, and signage for same, as well as signage for ramp to entry.
Emergency floodlight device for power outage (as might occur in a fire).
We got a fairly compact $60 exit sign that included this.
Exit sign over another exit, but not needing internal or outage lighting.
20 ft wide area from dining room exit onto patio, supposed to be free of
obstacles in case a large crowd needed to spill outside in a panic. We
will design our patio with this in mind, but will not necessarily have a
20 ft wide clear pathway all the way to the somewhat distant street.
Braille rest room signs, in certain placements next to bathroom doors.
Stronger floors.
Fire extinguishers of specified types, in three locations.
Panic hardware on all the exit doors (push bar). We forgot to have it so
they have the same key as the front door. Best to choose a panic bar that
has a lock which can be independently changed (we didn't know that).
Locksmith tells us cheap panic door locks often malfunction fairly soon.

Interestingly, they not only required no sprinkler system, but required
no smoke alarms.
No Smoking signs in several places.
A sign on the front door that said something like "This door must be
unlocked during normal business hours" (which we take to mean When the
building is in use).
I think that's it.
I was concerned that we'd end up looking overly institutional with grab
bars and exit signs and all, but there is so much that's NOT
institutional, that it works out fine. We have had a number of visitors
to our common house who use walkers or wheelchairs, and they have had no
problems with entries and bathrooms.

Things that are not entirely accessible to a person in a wheelchair,
still:
Kitchen appliances, though the stove top has knobs at the front. Spray
table and counter-level dishwasher, back burners, and upper convection
oven racks, sinks, are not wheelchair accessible in the kitchen. Neither
is the sink in the kid room.
The north entry to the dining room from outside, which has a shallow step
up from the surrounding lawn (the terrain makes it unlikely that a
mobility impaired person would choose this entry anyway). The south
dining room door fronts on a concrete patio and is thus accessible. The
main entry to the building, which also leads to the dining room, is also
entirely accessible, with approach ramp from handicapped parking space.
Pathways between our homes, and between our homes and the common house,
due to the considerable slope of some of our land. To get from some areas
to the common house, one would need to drive around the block, if one
could not handle a hill. There seems to be no way to avoid that. Some of
our individual houses are "visitable" and others are not.

Some things we did for safety or accessibility which were not explicitly
required - an extra set of power outage floodlights, in the front hall as
well as the dining room. Railings on our low front porch and the ramp
leading to it. We have improved the pathways across the flatter areas,
such as the grassy main field, to make them smoother for those who are
unsteady on their feet. We are also working to make all our pathways
easier to see in the dark, though we do not want lights.   We have a
lowered section to the kitchen's butcher-block prep island, so as to be
convenient for a short or seated person. We boosted lighting in some
areas of the CH, since some members have vision concerns. We installed
acoustic mitigations, which can help those who have hearing concerns. One
bathroom has a height-extender for the toilet seat available, and both
bathrooms have step stools for children. We have stored cleaning supplies
and other child hazards out of reach, or used safety latches.

PS I just got back from a 3-week absence and it is so good to be home.
New additions to the landscaping, finishing touches here and there in the
common house, progress on some Issues, and an invitation to lunch, which
made up for my empty larder. And tonight is a community supper - what an
easy transition!

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com