Sliding Scale Association fees?
From: Susan Hope Dundas (suhopduumich.edu)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:37:01 -0700 (MST)
Hello,

I'm a member of the developing Great Oak Cohousing community in Ann Arbor,
Michigan, and we're working on how to structure our association fees.
One idea which has been floated (among many attempts to try to keep our
housing as affordable as possible) is to define a range of fees for each
unit type, and allow individuals to use those ranges as a sliding scale.
Any shortfall at the end of the year would be addressed by having all
households split the cost of the shortfall equally.

Does anyone out there have any experience with such a structure, or
opinions/comments/suggestions on the idea? One of the concerns that has
been raised is how we would handle someone who consistently "abuses" the
policy.

Many thanks in advance to you all.

        Susan Hope

~~