Re: common meals vs. pot lucks
From: Shari Fradenburgh & Joe Taylor (safjstmindspring.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:44:28 -0700 (MST)
The main advantage I see to common meals over potlucks is that only 1-3
people need to cook for a common meal, instead of everyone (or at least 1
per household), which is the usual expectation for potlucks.  Two people
can easily cook for a group of 20-40, assuming they have the proper
equipment (large pots, large stove, etc.)  It's much easier to arrange and
to do after move-in and with a finished Common House than if you're trying
to pull together people living in separate locations and trying to get
together after work for pre-construction meetings.  I don't know your
situation or the stage of your cohousing, so your mileage may vary :).  We
are coming up on our 5th year anniversary of move-in.  We have sign-up
sheets by the month for cooking and clean-up for common meals.  It's great
to know that, unless you've signed up to cook that particular meal, all you
have to do that day is show up and eat.  (We also still have some potlucks,
but tend to be more sparsely attended than common meals.)

Shari