Schooling and Cohousing
From: Robert P. Arjet (rarjetLearnLink.Emory.Edu)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:52:01 -0700 (MST)
Hey folks-

Here in Austin, there's a big freeway which runs down the middle of town,
to a large extent dividing the haves from the have-nots.  I've lived on
the "wrong" side of the freeway several times, and think it's a great part
of town, but there's no denying that the schools are generally
substandard.  One piece of land that looks interesting (read: affordable)
for us is in the catchment area of a particularly unattractive high
school.

I assume that we will have a hard time attracting families with kids if we
locate in the catchment area of poor schools.  My wife and I homeschool,
so the school quality is not a problem for us, and we were wondering what
other kinds of solutions have been found to that problem.  Are there other
cohousing groups that have located in dicey school districts?  Have you
had trouble attracting families with kids?  One of my fantasies is that
cohousing will create opportunities for people to deal with the school
problem: group homeschooling, a charter school, intervention in the
existing schools, etc.  Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,

Robert Arjet