Re: movie review
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:08:01 -0700 (MST)
Hi all -

I respectfully beg to differ with the posted review of Lord of the Rings,
although I do agree that it is at the very upper edge of PG-13 and parents need
to think hard before taking younger kids.

I have two kids who love to read.  My 10 year old girl has read both Harry
Potter and the Lord of the Rings books at least three times through.  My 7 year
old boy has also read the Harry Potter books three or four times and is almost
done with the Lord of the Rings the first time. They have seen the Harry Potter
and the LOTR movies - but they didn't really want to see the Harry Potter movie
more than once, and they begged and pleaded to see the LOTR over and over. They
reached my limit on the fourth viewing.

My husband and I discussed the emotional and physical violence in the stories
and movies with the kids before and after they saw both movies.  They know a
lot about how special effects are put together and what's real and what's
imaginary. They haven't acted out any of the violence in the movies, but I can
tell by their questions at dinner and their imagination games with the other
kids here that they have absorbed a lot of ideas about how good and evil can
mix in a single person, when everyone used to be just nice or bad.

When one of the other parents in the neighborhood asked me whether I thought
the movie would be appropriate for her son, I told her I think it's a judgement
call.  Some 12 year olds will only see the violence and miss that violence is,
in this story and movie, representing the strength of the internal and external
struggles between good and evil; and some 7 year olds will, while briefly
riding a primate adrenaline high from the viewing, be left with lots of ideas
to chew on.

The kids independently expressed the idea that the Harry Potter movie "is" the
book, but the LOTR movie is an interpretation of the book.  We had a wonderful
discussion on a rainy car ride about how the first movie could have worked if
they interpreted it and how the LOTR movie could work if told with Gollum as
the main figure.  Anything that makes kids have fun working this hard is OK
with me.

Besides, the movie really makes me want to go to New Zealand - the scenery
almost steals the show.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eno Commons
Durham, NC