Re: movie review
From: Bombadil (bombadildnai.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:23:06 -0700 (MST)

My 10yo son was very frightened by this movie, even though he is not
bothered by cartoonish violence in martial-arts movies and has a great time.
I was angered not so much by the questionable rating, but by the fact that
the movie was marketed to children at all. Before it came out, I heard
nothing at all about how violent it was, from *any* source. I was online
downloading email from a parenting list I belong to when one of the other
parents said not to let a child see the movie. My son was at the movie at
the time! I'm still pissed about it.

First of all, I loved the movie and have seen it twice. The first experience is very intense, but the second time I was much more aware of the balance between quiet and intense episodes, and some of the really wonderful, nuanced acting. LOTR is a classic quest story, so it is made up of one peril after another.

As implied above, I think the reason it was potentially upsetting is how real the world and the characters were. Though scary and violent, it was not particularly graphic as action films go. I have seen many gorier films with PG-13 ratings.

I saw it opening weekend. I don't have kids so I'm not particularly attuned to parental warnings, but I had already heard from several sources that it was not appropriate for young kids. I can understand a parents distress though. And kids going to inappropriate movies is nothing new. I still remember baby-sitting for a terrified child who had spent the afternoon at a birthday party where they had taken a bunch of 8-year-olds to see Hitchcock's The Birds!

Linda Hobbet
(yes that's my real name, so I admit to some bias. Though in many ways I think it inclined me to be supercritical, not super accepting of what they did with MY story :-))