Re: pad thai
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:23:06 -0700 (MST)
PAD THAI

makes 4 entree servings-multiply accordingly

I find most people overeat in the CH when the meal is good-be sure to make
plenty. A general rule of thumb is that we'll eat twice what the serving
size says, unless there is lots of other food.

1/4 cup oil (I use peanut)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 pound raw, medium sized prawns, peeled and deveined (frozen is fine-thaw
first)
1/2 cup small cubes fried tofu (see below)
1-14oz. package thin or medium thick rice noodles, soaked  15 minutes and
drained
1/2 cup salt radish, rinsed (couldn't find these-they must not matter)
1-2 T tamarind juice
2-3 t fish sauce
1-2 t granulated sugar (we use turbonado or whatever)
1/2 t ground black pepper
1 egg
2 scallions (green onions)
1/4 c thinly sliced red bell pepper
!/2 cup finely ground roasted peanuts
1 c fresh bean sprouts
1/4 c shrimp powder
1 lime or lemon, cut in wedges

Stir fry the tofu in hot oil first, then set aside. You can make this with
no shrimp to make it cheaper-just increase the tofu.

Heat oil in a large wok or sauté pan. Add garlic and sauté until light
golden brown. Add prawns and cook, stirring, until they just turn pink. Add
tofu and noodles. Cook, tossing ingredients. If mixture seems dry, sprinkle
on a small amount of water. Add the following to taste, stirring after each
addition: tamarind juice, fish sauce, sugar and pepper. Add egg and stir-fry
until egg sets. Then stir in scallions, red pepper and peanuts. Add bean
sprouts. Remove from heat and serve immediately, garnished with shrimp
powder and lemon wedges.

Liz's advice:

After you multiply this, you'll need several woks to cook it. I do 4 at
once. You'll need to have a large pan ready to put the pad Thai in to keep
it warm in the oven (about 150 degrees), for a large group.

This isn't a great dish to try to make vegan, there is so much fish in it.
But it is non-dairy and good for anyone who eats fish. Most of these
ingredients are easy to find at an Asian market. I'm fortunate to have one
very close by. I never did find out what "salt radish" is, but the dish was
fabulous w/out it. I couldn't find shrimp powder, so I used another fish
powder-they come in cello packages.

The rice noodles will be stiff when you put them in. You won't believe that
it's okay, but it is. They sort of melt when they get heated.

The recipe also calls for you to roast your own peanuts, but I think this is
silly. Sadly, the person who did the shopping bought raw peanuts, so I had
to do it anyway! The recipe also says not to worry about the exact
proportions; you really can't screw this up. Lemon wedges aren't necessary,
but make it pretty. Use hotter peppers if you want it spicier.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing